Faculty and Staff

Global Citizen Award

The Global Citizen Award encourages and rewards undergraduate students' global engagement. Students complete award requirements through a combination of curricular and/or co-curricular activities of their choosing, including on-campus events, Global Citizens coursework, study abroad, community service, undergraduate research, internships, and/or foreign language study.

About the Global Citizen Award

Students must first declare their intent to pursue the award by attending a Starting Your Adventure workshop. Once attended, students are invited to join the Global Citizen Award Canvas organization, which is used to manage the award.

On-Campus Events

Students pursuing the Global Citizen Award must attend eight on-campus global events, for example, lectures, discussions, forums, conferences, and other events that contribute to students' global learning. Complete the Global Event Form to have your global event count towards award requirements. We'll advertise it to our Global Citizens.

Global Citizens Courses

Students can use approved Global Citizens courses to fulfill some of the requirements for the Global Citizen Awards. Approved courses have been certified as meeting the learning outcomes of the Global Citizens Project and carry the Global Citizens course attribute in Banner.

Study Abroad

Study abroad programs as short as one week can be used to fulfill some of the award requirements. Consider developing a short-term program embedded in one of your existing courses or develop something new! The Education Abroad office will work with you to tailor something to your needs.

Community Engagement

Service learning courses (credit bearing) and community service (non-credit bearing) can be used to fulfill some of the award requirements. To develop credit-bearing options, the Office of Community Engagement and Partnerships (OCEP) will help you. To find non-credit-bearing options, the Center for Leadership and Civic Engagement (CLCE) is where you want to go. Check out what both offices offer!

Undergraduate Research

Undergraduate research, credit bearing and non-credit bearing, can also be used to fulfill some of the award requirements. The Office for Undergraduate Research (OUR) will help you learn the various options you have in integrating undergraduate research into your courses and/or mentoring undergraduate students. OUR also offers a limited amount of funding for faculty through its CREATTE program.


Globally Engaged Internships can earn credit in one of two ways: first through the student’s major and program of study, and secondly, if no major-specific internship course is available, through IDS 3947. The IDS 3947 – Cooperative Internship course can also be used by faculty when teaching international internships if an academic credit course is not readily available within the major. Students wishing to request permission to take IDS 3947 can