Employee / Labor Relations
The University of South Florida currently provides two types of grievance procedures, USF System Grievances and Collective Bargaining Agreement Grievances. Whether or not an employment issue can be grieved through the particular type of grievance procedure is based on the subject of the grievance.
USF System Grievances
Administration, Staff and Temporary (within certain limits) employees are eligible to file grievances through the USF System Grievance Procedure. A grievance, for the purpose of this procedure, is the allegation by an employee that:
- A term and/or condition of employment is unjust or inappropriate;
- A university regulation, policy, or procedure has been either wrongfully applied or applied in a manner that violates the regulation, policy, or procedure; and/or
- A disciplinary action is inappropriate.
Click on the links below for the USF System Grievance Procedure and Form. Refer to USF Regulations or USF System Policies on this topic.
Collective Bargaining Agreement Grievances
Based on their job classes, certain employees are covered by collective bargaining agreements that address terms and conditions of employment at the university. Applicable job classes are listed in each agreement. If a covered (i.e., in-unit) employee believes one or more provisions of the agreement have been violated, he/she may file a grievance through the grievance procedure contained in that agreement. These collective bargaining agreements are:
- American Federation of State, County, and Municipal Employees (AFSCME) which is administered by Human Resources. Most Staff employees, excluding certain Law Enforcement classes are covered by this agreement.
- West Central Florida Police Benevolent Association (PBA) which is administered by Human Resources. Staff employees in certain Law Enforcement classes are covered by this agreement.
- United Faculty of Florida (UFF) which is administered by the Provost's Office. Most Faculty and certain Administration employees are covered by this agreement.
- Graduate Assistants United (GAU) which is administered by the Graduate School. Graduate Assistants are covered by this agreement.