USF Research Council
A Standing Council of the University of South Florida Faculty Council
The Research Council (RC) is a standing council of the USF Faculty Council and reports to the council and the Senior Vice President for Research & Innovation. The RC is operated and managed by the Faculty Senate of USF on behalf of the USF Faculty Council, and the RC will report to that body. Members of the RC will be appointed by the Senior Vice President for Research & Innovation from nominees provided by the USF Faculty Senate's Committee on Committees.
Refer to: Committee on Committees Nomination Form (MS Word)
The Research Council is responsible for advising the President, Senior Vice President for Research & Innovation, and other administration officials across USF on matters pertaining to policies and procedures intended to promote growth, excellence, and integrity in research and creative activity throughout the university community.
Membership consists of one representative from each college of USF; one additional representative from any college having more than 250 full-time faculty members; a third representative from any college having more than 400 full-time faculty members; one representative each from the St. Petersburg campus, Sarasota-Manatee campus, and two faculty members at large. Appointees typically serve a three-year term and have demonstrated productivity in research or other creative activity.
The Research Council meets twice a month during the Fall and Spring Semesters and on an ad hoc basis during the Summer, as needed. RC members conduct the Internal Award selection process for Research and Innovation and recognizing that participation on the RC is a time intensive endeavor, RC members (with the exception of the current chair) are eligible to apply for an Internal Award while serving on the RC pursuant to the guidelines in the council's operating procedures.
Activities of the Research Council
USF Internal Awards grant program: develop policies & procedures and recommend awardees
- Conference Support Grants
- Creative Scholarship Grants
- Faculty International Travel Grants
- New Researcher Grants
- Proposal Enhancement Grants
- Research Faculty Pathway Grants
University-wide grants and awards: review & recommend awardees
- Outstanding Research Achievement Awards
Limited submission pre-proposal selection: review & rank pre-proposals for Senior Vice President. Chair, or designee, attends one meeting of the USF Faculty Council each semester and makes a report to the council members. Meet with councils and standing committees to promote research and other creative activities at USF.
- Research Council Charge (PDF)
- RC Member Contact Sheet (PDF)
- RC Member - Photo Gallery (PDF)
- Getting Appointed to the Research Council (PDF)
- Internal Awards Program
- Internal Awards - Report on Long Term Impact Study (MS Word)
- "Listening to Those We Serve: Assessing the Research Needs of University Faculty" - SRA article on RC survey of USF faculty (PDF)
- 2015 RC Internal Awards Survey Summary: Evaluation of the USFRI Internal Awards Program (PDF)