When to Refer

You may notice that a student is not coping well with their emotions or life circumstances when they show the following signs:

  • Trouble sleeping
  • Vague physical aches and pains and/or lack of energy
  • Loss of interest in activities that s/he once enjoyed
  • Depressed or sluggish mood
  • Lack of motivation
  • Excessive tension or worry
  • Restlessness, hyperactivity, unusually fast or confused speech
  • Increase in alcohol or drug use
  • Drop in academic performance or class attendance
  • Social withdrawal, Increased irritability, anger
  • Dangerous or threatening behaviors (toward self or others)
  • Changes in eating habits
  • Self-injury (cutting, scratching, burning)
  • Unusual or exaggerated response to events (overly suspicious, overly restless, easily startled)
  • Increased crying, hypersensitivity
  • Difficulties focusing and concentrating
  • Negative view of self
  • References to suicide

Even after talking with your student and creating possible solutions, things are not getting better. This may be the time to refer your student to the Counseling Center.

How to Refer to the Counseling Center:
Be direct and tell the student you are worried. Encourage them to call or visit the Counseling Center to schedule an appointment. If you have specific questions or concerns, we would be happy to talk to you. Call your campus Counseling Center and ask to speak to a counselor.

Please remember, we are required by law to maintain the privacy of our clients. Any student, age 18 and older, has the ability to receive counseling services without other's involvement. Therefore, we do not provide information to anyone (including parents) regarding a student's visit to the Counseling Center without the student's written permission, per our client confidentiality policies: