Data Science for Public Administration
The Graduate Certificate in Data Science for Public Administration prepares public, private, and nonprofit sector professionals who wish to enhance their quantitative and analytical skills. The course of study helps students develop their ability to conduct data analysis, draw inferences and insights, generate and assess solutions, and communicate the results to diverse stakeholders.
Courses for this graduate certificate program are primarily offered on the Tampa campus.
Applicants must hold a bachelor's degree from a regionally accredited university and should have a minimum GPA of 3.0 out of a 4.0 scale average in their undergraduate study.
APPLICATION PROCESSTo learn about the application process, and to access the application, please review our application process. In addition to your completed application form and non-refundable $30 application fee, you will need to submit the following documents:
- Letter of interest;
- Transcripts; and
- Two letters of recommendation.
None are required.
Core Requirements15 total credit hours; 6 credit hours of required core courses.
- PAD 6703 - Quantitative Analysis in Public Administration (3)
- Can be substituted with URP 6201 - Quantitative Analysis in Urban and Regional Planning (3)
- URP 5277 - GIS for Urban and Regional Planners (3)
- Formerly known as URP 6930 - GIS for Planners (3)
- Can be substituted with PAD 6717 - GIS Applications for Urban Management (3)
Elective Requirements9 credit hours of required elective courses. Please select three courses from the following list:
- ISM 6136 - Data Mining (3)
- LIS 5802 - Information Analytics (3)
- LIS 5937 - Visual Analytics (3)
- MAN 6347 - People Analytics (3)
- SYA 7357 - Introduction to Social Network Analysis (3)
Students should complete the program within 1-3 years.
CREDIT TOWARD GRADUATE DEGREE
All 15 credit hours/five courses from this certificate program may be eligible for transfer into the Master of Public Administration (MPA) program, as long as a grade of “B” or higher is received in each certificate course taken.
No standardized tests are required for admission to the certificate program. However, should a student subsequently decide to apply to the Master of Public Administration (MPA) program, the GRE is required. International students must submit TOEFL or IELTS scores if English is not their native language. A minimum score of 550 on the paper-based test or 79 on the internet-based test is required on the TOEFL, or a minimum score of 6.5 taken within the last 2 years is required on the IELTS.
- International students who do not hold the required degree from a regionally accredited U.S. institution must submit translated transcripts, along with a letter from a qualified foreign transcript evaluation service, certifying equivalency to a U.S. degree.
- Certificate students are ineligible for a student visa based on the certificate program alone (non-degree seeking), but enrolling in a Master's program (graduate degree seeking) would make you eligible for a student visa.
Dr. Stephen Aikins
Phone: (813) 974-0114
Phone: (813) 974-7861
Phone: (813) 974-4926