The Graduate Certificate in Public Management benefits those who currently hold positions in governmental management, as well as professionals who administer public contracts and programs. The course of study helps students develop the competencies required for effective public management.
*MPA students are not eligible to apply for, or receive, the Graduate Certificate in Public Management (GCPM) given that the curriculum for this program is exactly the same as the curriculum for the MPA degree.
Courses for this graduate certificate program are only offered on the Tampa campus.
Applicants must hold a bachelor's degree from a regionally accredited university and should have a minimum GPA of 3.0 out of a 4.0 scale average in their undergraduate study.
APPLICATION PROCESSTo learn about the application process, and to access the application, please review our application process. In addition to your completed application form and non-refundable $30 application fee, you will need to submit the following documents:
- Letter of interest;
- Transcripts; and
- Two letters of recommendation.
None are required.
Core Requirements18 total credit hours; 9 credit hours of required core courses.
- PAD 6060 - Public Administration Theory (3)
- PAD 5700 - Research Methods in Public Administration (3)
- PAD 6105 - Organization Theory and Leadership (3)
- PAD 6227 - Public Budgeting (3)
- PAD 6275 - Political Economy for Public Managers (3)
- PAD 6307 - Policy Design and Implementation (3)
- PAD 6417 - Human Resources Management (3)
- PAD 6703 - Quantitative Analysis in Public Administration (3)
- PAD 6710 - Public Information Management (3)
Elective Requirements9 credit hours of required elective courses. Three elective courses from the Department of Public Administration which are relevant to the study of public management, or a course from another graduate program with prior approval from the Program Director. Suggested electives include:
- Any three courses from the list above not used towards the core requirements
- PAD 6134 - Project Management (3)
- PAD 6427 - Public Sector Labor Relations (3)
Students should complete the program within 1-3 years.
CREDIT TOWARD GRADUATE DEGREE
All 18 credit hours/six courses from this certificate program may be eligible for transfer into the Master of Public Administration (MPA) program, as long as a grade of “B” or higher is received in each certificate course taken.
No standardized tests are required for admission to the certificate program. However, should a student subsequently decide to apply to the Master of Public Administration (MPA) program, the GRE is required. International students must submit TOEFL or IELTS scores if English is not their native language. A minimum score of 550 on the paper-based test or 79 on the internet-based test is required on the TOEFL, or a minimum score of 6.5 taken within the last 2 years is required on the IELTS.
- International students who do not hold the required degree from a regionally accredited U.S. institution must submit translated transcripts, along with a letter from a qualified foreign transcript evaluation service, certifying equivalency to a U.S. degree.
- Certificate students are ineligible for a student visa based on the certificate program alone (non-degree seeking), but enrolling in a Master's program (graduate degree seeking) would make you eligible for a student visa.
Dr. Stephen Aikins
Phone: (813) 974-0114
Phone: (813) 974-7861
Phone: (813) 974-4926