Master of Public Administration (MPA)
Our internship program is part of an ongoing commitment to adding hands-on experience to the portfolio of career competencies we provide our graduates. It gives them the opportunity to experience the challenges of public and community service first hand, and to see theory actually put into practice. Students can intern for any public or nonprofit organization where they get the opportunity to apply the skills and knowledge acquired in their program of study.
All pre-service students, defined as those students who are not currently employed in, or do not have at least 5 years of experience in a relevant professional post, must complete a three-credit hour internship. This course requirement consists of the completion of 150 hours of interning at a public or nonprofit organization and the submission of a summary report at the end of the semester. The internship experience must be professional and administrative in nature as opposed to a clerical-level position. Students must consult with the MPA Program Director at least one semester in advance of their internship placement. All placements must be approved beforehand.
Note: International students are eligible to apply for off-campus internship/employment opportunities once they have completed an academic year (Fall and Spring semester) at USF.
In-service students, defined as those who have at least 5 years or more of managerial or executive-level work experience, may be eligible for a waiver of this requirement, at the discretion of the department. All internship waivers must be approved by the MPA Program Director.
Current & Past Internship Placements
Our MPA students have had the opportunity to intern at local public and nonprofit agencies, getting the chance to develop their professional networks and gain firsthand experience in applying their knowledge in the real world.
- City of Largo, Office of Management & Budget
- City of Largo, Public Works
- City of Oldsmar, Administrative Services
- City of Oldsmar, Leisure Services
- City of Temple Terrace, Code Compliance
- City of Temple Terrace, Community Development
- City of Zephyrhills, Administration
- Connect For More
- Corporation to Develop Communities (CDC) of Tampa, Inc.
- Hillsborough County, Human Resources
- Hillsborough County, Operations & Legislative Affairs
- Hillsborough County Aviation Authority
- Hillsborough County Public Schools
- James A. Haley Veterans' Hospital
- Manatee County Government
- Pasco County, Real Property & Planning
- Pasco County, Office of Management & Budget
- Pasco County, Utilities & Administration
- Pinellas County, Emergency Management
- Ronald McDonald House Charities Tampa Bay
- Senior Connection Center
- Tampa General Hospital
- U.S. Representative Kathy Castor, FL District 14
- USF Department of Emergency Management
- USF Office of Government Relations