Master of Public Administration (MPA)
MPA GRADUATE ASSISTANTSHIP
We typically only offer one highly competitive graduate assistantship (GA) position in the MPA program with an approximately 20 hour per week workload. GA opportunities are only available to students who have been admitted into the MPA program. Appointments are typically for an entire academic year and, in some cases, may be renewed for up to two years.
To qualify for the GA position, students must first be admitted into the MPA program. To be eligible for the tuition waiver that accompanies the stipend, students must also enroll in classes full-time (9 credit hours each Fall and Spring semester). The tuition waiver only covers about 80% of the in-state tuition rate. The remaining 20% of the fees are the responsibility of the student.
This opportunity is primarily available with a Fall semester start date. However, we sometimes do have an opportunity that becomes available with a Spring semester start date, so you are encouraged to apply during any time of the year. Only completed application packets that are submitted by the application deadline will be considered for internal funding. Please be aware that graduate funding is not guaranteed!
Jamil Jreisat Scholarship
Named after (and established by) the late Professor Emeritus Dr. Jamil Jreisat, this scholarship rewards outstanding academic performances by graduate students in the MPA and GCPM programs. The $1,000 scholarship is awarded annually to up to two deserving students who either submit an outstanding independent research paper in public administration that is already graded, or have completed at least 24 graduate credit hours with a perfect 4.0 GPA. The application process and deadlines are announced via email to current students only.
Joan Pynes Memorial Scholarship
In memory of the late Professor Dr. Joan Pynes, this scholarship rewards outstanding academic performances by graduate students in the MPA and GCNM programs. The $1,000 scholarship is awarded annually to one deserving student who is interested in pursuing a career in nonprofit administration or NGO's, and submits an outstanding project paper in nonprofit management that is already graded. The application process and deadlines are announced via email to current students only.
James E. Blanton III Veterans Scholarship
In memory of James E. Blanton III, this scholarship provides support to MPA and MURP graduate student veterans who honorably served in a branch of the U.S. military (Army, Navy, Air Force, Space Force, Marine Corps, Coast Guard) or the National Guard. The $1,000 scholarship is awarded annually to up to two deserving students who submit a personal statement relating how their military service has led them to pursue a graduate degree in public service. The application process and deadlines are announced via email to current students only.
usf sources FOR GRADUATE FUNDING
Graduate Assistantships and Scholarships at USF:
- Assistantships at USF - for opportunities available outside of our School.
- USF Foundation Scholarships - explore a variety of databases for opportunities.
- USF Alumni Association Scholarships - opportunities exclusively open to current students.
- USF Office of National Scholars - national scholarship and fellowship opportunities to support students.
Financial Aid Services at USF:
- Submit the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) to be considered for federal, state, and university financial aid programs.
- To apply for certain scholarships (i.e., College of Arts & Sciences Student Success Scholarship, BLN/Lisa Anne Mifflin Public Policy Scholarship, etc.), you will need to create an AwardSpring account and set up your profile. Each year, AwardSpring opens in November and closes in February (for new graduate students) or May (for continuing graduate students).
USF Employment (Careers@USF)
Part-time employment on campus is often a convenient way to help finance your education and gain valuable work experience.
- International students (with F-1 and J-1 visas) who are enrolled in classes full-time are only allowed to accept part-time employment at USF for 20 hours per week during the regular semester (Fall and Spring). You can be employed full-time on-campus for 40 hours per week during official breaks, such as the winter break in December and the Summer term.
USF Career Services
Career Services helps you assess your skills and interests, improve your career research, identify experiences leading to transferable skills, and search for internships and full- or part-time employment.