Incoming First Year Students
PREPARATION FOR ENGINEERING
Newly admitted first year students are required to take and successfully complete the university’s Math Placement Test (MPT) first two subjects, basic algebra and college algebra. Students who completed pre-calculus or calculus in high school will also take the MPT for pre-calculus/trigonometry. A score of 12 out of 15 on the MPT subject exams is considered passing. Students who successfully complete all three MPT subjects are encourage to start in Calculus I fall term for degree progression. To access the MPT, study plans, and practice tests, please visit your MyUSF account. You'll find Canvas under the Learning and Teaching Tools menu. Math Placement Test is a course in Canvas. An exemption is granted for students who have already received credit for calculus I.
All summer admits are required to enroll in a 3-credit math preparatory course during the Summer B session and earn a minimum grade of "S" satisfactory. Students who are unable to successfully complete the course may be redirected to another major.
First year summer admits and conditional admits will participate in at least one College
of Engineering academic support program geared toward successful degree progression
their first fall/spring semester. Examples of an academic support program include
course-based learning communities, weekly academic guidance sessions, and/or weekly
FIRST-YEAR STUDENT REQUIREMENTS TO ENTER THE COLLEGE OF ENGINEERING
First time in college students and lower division transfer students with less than 30 credits, who meet the criteria below, are granted entry into the College of Engineering:
- Admitted to the University of South Florida as a degree seeking student;
- Meet at least one of the below requirements:
- earn a minimum SAT math (SATM) score of 610 or
- earn a minimum ACT math (ACTM) score of 26 or
- have a minimum high school GPA of 3.6 on the USF adjusted scale
Those students who do not meet the above criteria can be admitted to the College after satisfactorily meeting transfer student admission requirements.
Additional requirements must be met prior to admission to specific degree programs. Biomedical Engineering is a limited access program. Students interested in biomedical engineering need to refer to major section in the undergraduate catalog for admission criteria. These admission requirements may be found in the Undergraduate Catalog and on our major flowcharts and curriculum guides.
NEW FIRST-YEAR STUDENT CHECKLIST
- Register for University Orientation
- Review program admission and curriculum requirements, see flowcharts and curriculum guides for undergraduate majors
- Follow-up to be sure all final transcripts (high school, AP, IB, college dual enrollment, etc.) have been submitted to USF
- Check Orientation's To-Do List
- Know USF's College Math and Chemistry Placement Guidelines
- Review Credit-by-Exam Equivalents
- Learn about available programs and resources listed below
FIRST-YEAR PROGRAMS AND RESOURCES
As new first-year students in the College of Engineering, we offer several programs and resources to provide students with opportunities to start on a path to academic success. Visit these sites to learn more.