Export Controls

Resources for International Students

What USF International Students Need to Know

USF is committed to supporting a diverse community comprised of both national and international students. The university's commitment to the creation and dissemination of knowledge encourages full and free exchange of information. While USF's intent is to foster education and research in an open environment, it is important to remember that export control laws and regulations can impact a variety of activities at the university, including research, shipping and international travel.

The information in this section provides an overview of information that all international students should know. Please contact the Office of Export Controls at any time for assistance with determining if your activities, while at USF, are subject to export controls.

How can Export Controls affect my research and educational endeavors?

There are several scenarios that may require an export license including, but not limited to:

  • A physical transfer/disclosure of an item outside the U.S.;
  • Travel to a sensitive country, including but not limited to Cuba, Iran, Syria, North Korea or South Sudan;
  • Travel internationally when physically transferring items in the course of research or presentations;
  • Thesis or dissertation research performed in a foreign country or in conjunction with foreign partners;
  • Presentation/discussion of previously unpublished research at conferences or meetings in international locations;
  • Research collaborations with foreign nationals and exchange of data with sensitive countries;
  • Transfers of research equipment abroad;
  • Accessing encrypted software object code or source code not openly sourced software
  • Accessing proprietary information; or
  • Engaging in research on any controlled pathogen, bacteria or toxin.

What kinds of projects raise Export Control concerns?

Any research activity may be subject to export controls if it involves the actual export or "deemed" export of any goods, technology, or related technical data that is either:

  • "Dual or commercial use" (commercial in nature with possible military application); or
  • Inherently military in nature

I plan to travel internationally while I am studying at USF, should I be concerned?

  • When traveling internationally on an F-1 visa, always contact USF World international services prior to travel.
  • If traveling to Cuba, Iran, Syria or Sudan, please reach out to the Office of Export Controls prior to travel. General or specific licensing requirements may be necessary.
  • If hand-carrying USF owned equipment or electronic devices, reach out to the Office of Export Controls prior to traveling.
  • When traveling to Cuba, Iran, Syria or Sudan, access to USF electronic systems and educational services will be limited due to Office of Foreign Assets Control sanctions and embargoes.

Export control laws are complicated and if violated may result in severe personal fines. Be sure to contact the Office of Export Controls with any questions at 813-974-6368 or by email.

For additional guidance, please visit the following websites:

Countries of Concern, Sanctions and Embargoes
Academic Collaboration Activities and Travel Guidance: Libya, Somalia, Sudan and Yemen
Academic Collaboration Activities and Travel Guidance: Iran
Academic Collaboration Activities and Travel Guidance: Syria
USF World International Services
US Department of the Treasury Office of Foreign Assets Control (OFAC)