Interns are selected based on their academic background, professional experience, and training goals. Ideally, a strong candidate will have a broad range of experience including training in a university counseling center setting and some prior experience with group therapy, outreach, psychological and career assessment, and supervision. Coursework in group therapy and supervision are strongly recommended. Additionally, the candidate must meet the following prerequisites:
- Enrolled in an APA or CPA-accredited doctoral program in clinical or counseling psychology
- Completed all formal course work and comprehensive examinations for the doctoral degree
- Dissertation proposal approved prior to application date on Monday, November 1, 2021
- Completed a minimum of 400 intervention and assessment hours
Video Conference Interview
Prospective candidates will be notified of their status of their application before or by Tuesday, December 14, 2021. Interviews will take place between January 4 and January 7, 2022
- Each candidate invited to interview will have an opportunity to participate in a 40-minute video conference interview, followed by a 15-minute question and answer period with a current intern. Afterward, you will have the opportunity for a 15-minute conversation with the Training Director and Internship Coordinator
Visiting the Counseling Center
Some candidates find it helpful to visit prospective internship sites prior to making their ranking decision. If interested in this optional experience, please email Dr. Michael Rogers to set up an individual tour of the center at a mutually convenient time. The counseling center does not include information from candidate visits to determine rank order
USF's Counseling Center follows the guidelines established by The Association of Psychology Postdoctoral and Internship Centers (APPIC) to enhancing internship training in professional psychology and will:
- Participate in the APPIC Internship Matching Program.
- Require all applicants to be registered for the Matching Program in order to be eligible for an internship in our agency.
- Make a reasonable effort to notify every applicant who submits a complete set of application materials as to his/her interview status.
- Abide by the APPIC match policy that no person at this training facility will communicate, solicit, accept, or use any ranking-related information pertaining to the match prior to the release of the results the match.
- Mail or e-mail appointment agreements to matched applicants no later than seven (7) days following receipt of the APPIC Match results.