What We Do
About Group Counseling
Group Schedule fall 2019
Group counseling sessions offer an opportunity for you to meet others who have similar experiences and who also want to pursue personal growth. Group counseling is a very effective way to learn about yourself and how others see you. In the supportive atmosphere of the group, you also may experiment with new, more rewarding ways of relating to people.
We have different types of groups depending on what you hope to get out of the experience. Group counseling is on a space-available basis to registered students. Most groups have 5-8 members and meet once a week. Click here to view the Fall 2019 groups. If you are interested in joining a group call (813) 974-2831 to get started.
Come as often as you like. Drop-in groups are open to all registered USF students.
Soothing the Self • Monday, 5-6pm
Do you feel overwhelmed from intense emotional pain, have difficulty maintaining strong relationships with others, or find it difficult to stay present throughout the semester? Nobody asks for negative thoughts or emotions, but we all have to find ways to tolerate them. With distress tolerance skills, you can acknowledge what’s outside your control, find ways to calm yourself, and take steps towards a more valued life.
Emotional Expression Through Art • Tuesday, 4-5pm
A picture is worth a thousand words. Come draw, paint, color, or construct art to express, decompress, and reduce stress. Discover your masterpiece by engaging in self-expression through creating art.
Mindfulness Meditation • Wednesdays 3:30pm-4:30pm
Learn and practice the basics of meditation including mindfulness, calm breathing, body scans, progressive muscle relaxation, and guided imagery.
drop-in Workshop series: move forward
- Session 1 – Mindfulness – Sept 10th; Oct 1st; Oct 22nd; Nov 12th; Dec 3rd
- Session 2 – Openness – Sept 17th; Oct 8th; Oct 29th; Nov 19th
- Session 3 – Values & Engagement – Sept 24th; Oct 15th; Nov 5th; Nov 26th
- Session 1 – Mindfulness – Sept 19th; Oct 10th; Oct 31st; Nov 21st
- Session 2 – Openness – Sept 26th; Oct 17th; Nov 7th; Dec 5th
- Session 3 – Values & Engagement – Oct 3rd; Oct 24th; Nov 14th
- Session 1 – Mindfulness – Sept 27th; Oct 18th; Nov 8th; Dec 6th
- Session 2 – Openness – Oct 4th; Oct 25th; Nov 15th
- Session 3 – Values & Engagement – Oct 11th; Nov 1st; Nov 22nd
Do you have difficulty managing the stress, anxiety, depression, or interpersonal relationships in your life? This dynamic rotating 3-week seminar is a crash course in teaching reliance skills to make the most out of your time at USF and in counseling. These skills will help you be more present with your experiences, learn how to let go of unnecessary thoughts and feelings, clarify your values, and take action to move towards a valued and better life. Come to all three sessions to build upon the skills learned or drop-in as needed!