Smart City Technology
The Graduate Certificate in Smart City Technology (GCSC) is designed for professionals in the fields of planning, information systems, spatial modeling, mapping, data management, and civil engineering. Individuals who have an undergraduate degree and need the knowledge and direction on technologies relating to urban and regional spatial modeling and digital management, will benefit from this certificate. The emphasis in the program is on the advanced applications of GIS, lidar technology, 3D modeling, and spatial analysis.
Courses for this graduate certificate program are only offered on the Tampa campus. We offer a mixture of in person, hybrid blend, and online courses.
For full consideration, your completed application should be received by the following deadlines:
- Fall semester: August 1
- Spring semester: December 1
- Summer semester: April 15
Applicants must hold a bachelor's degree from a regionally accredited university and should have a minimum GPA of 3.0 out of a 4.0 scale average in their undergraduate study.
For new non-degree seeking students: In addition to your online application and non-refundable $30 application fee, you will also need to submit the following documents:
- Undergraduate transcripts;
- Letter of intent (aka statement of purpose);
- Resume (aka curriculum vitae); and
- Two letters of recommendation.
Current graduate students at USF: DO NOT submit an online application. Instead, you will download and fill out the Graduate Certificate Approval Form. Send the completed paperwork and supplemental materials (statement of purpose and up-to-date resume only) via email to firstname.lastname@example.org as one PDF file (do not send via DocuSign).
12 total credit hours; 9 credit hours of required core courses.
- URP 5277 GIS for Urban and Regional Planners (3)
- URP 6238 Lidar and 3D Applications of GIS (3)
- URP 6256 Urban Spatial Analysis (3)
3 credit hours of required elective courses. Please select 1 course from the following list:
- GIS 6103 Programming for GIS (3)
- GIS 6355 Water Resources Applications of GIS (3)
- PAD 6710 Public Information Management (3)
- URP 6235 Terrestrial Lidar Field Methods (3)
- URP 6930 Introduction to Digital Design (3)
The graduate certificate time limit is 5 years. However, students can complete this program within 1-3 years.
CREDIT TOWARD GRADUATE DEGREE
All 12 credit hours/4 courses from this certificate program may be eligible for transfer into the Master of Urban & Regional Planning (MURP) program, as long as a grade of "B" or higher is received in each certificate course taken.
No standardized tests are required for admission to the certificate program. International applicants from non-English speaking countries must provide a minimum score of 79 on TOEFL iBT, 6.5 on IELTS, or 110 on Duolingo taken within 2 years of the desired term of entry. Click here for more information on USF's English Proficiency Requirement.
- International students who do not hold the required degree from a regionally accredited U.S. institution must submit translated transcripts from an NACES affiliated evaluation agency certifying equivalency to a U.S. degree.
- Certificate students are ineligible for a student visa based on the certificate program alone (non-degree seeking), but concurrently enrolling in a master's program (graduate degree seeking) would make you eligible for a student visa.
Phone: (813) 974-7861