Academic & Advising


1. How do I declare my major?

The appropriate forms may be found at:
Completed forms may be turned in to MHC 1143.

2. What do I need to bring to an advising appointment?

Just yourself! Your current audit will be printed for you.

3. I'm a new transfer student, how do I proceed?

Be sure to declare the major through on-line transfer student orientation and follow the instructions. Prior to making an appointment with an advisor, new Gerontology transfer students are required to:

4. How do I find out my NetID and USF ID?

5. I'm a Senior, any advice?

It is extremely important that you request from your advisor a "Major Check" of required courses in the semester before you expect to graduate. If you wait until you are already enrolled in your final semester and expecting to graduate, it will be too late to offset requirements that you may have overlooked.

6. What other type of assistance is available to students?

7. What if I need an Academic Plan (for ARC petitions)?

Academic plans for students who have been academically dismissed will be handled by a face-to-face advising appointment. Our advisor will only advise academically dismissed students for one semester at a time. The student must make an advising appointment before registering each semester.

8. What if I need a form signed?

Not all forms require an advisor's signature. Forms may be obtained online or in the School of Aging Studies. Some forms may be obtained on the Registrar's Office website listed under Forms on the right-hand side of the page.

9. If I just have a question, can I get an answer over the phone?

Absolutely! Call Ms. Wall  at (813) 974-9740

10. I just need a permit for class. Do I need to see an advisor?

Ms. Wall can help you or you can also call Lydia Hentschel  (813) 974-2414 for a permit.

11. What if I need a certain class and it is not appearing on the class schedule search?

The class is not being offered that semester, i.e. GEY 4401 Research Methods in Gerontology is only offered fall semester.

12. What if a class that I need is closed?

If a class that you need is closed, you can periodically check on the OASIS class schedule search for an open seat. Someone is always dropping out for various reasons. If that doesn't work you can always go to that class on the first day and try to get a seat. As first day attendance is mandatory for undergraduates, anyone not attending will automatically be dropped from the class rolls. With permission from the instructor, call the School of Aging Studies office at 974-2414 and we will give you a closed section permit.

13. I have a hold on my registration. What does this mean and how do I get it removed?

The following are typical hold codes you will encounter:

14. What if I need to drop or withdraw from a class?

A student may drop a course(s) during the drop/add periods (first five days of classes) and no entry of the course(s) will appear on any permanent academic records. No tuition or fees will be assessed for course(s) dropped within that period.
A student may withdraw from a course(s) between the second and tenth week of the semester (except for Summer sessions - see the Summer Schedule of Classes for dates). However tuition and fees will be assessed for any course(s) withdrawn by the student after the first week. The student's academic record will reflect a "W" grade for any course(s) withdrawal between the second and tenth week of the semester. Under specific conditions, refund of tuition and fees may be requested in writing from the Office of Purchasing and Financial Services. See "Refund of Fees" under Financial Information for complete details.
Students who withdraw may not continue to attend classes.
Effective Fall 2011, all undergraduate students will be limited to a total of five course withdrawals while enrolled as a degree-seeking or a non-degree seeking undergraduate student at USF. The five course withdrawals will be limited to three course withdrawals for students with less than 60 semester credit hours, and two course withdrawals for students with more than or equal to 60 semester credit hours. Only in extenuating circumstances will approval be granted for more than five course withdrawals. Appeals for additional course withdrawals due to extenuating circumstances must be submitted to the Academic Regulations Committee in the college of the student's academic

15. I'm not getting the grade I want and the mid-term is approaching. Should I drop this course?

If you are failing or not getting the grade you need by mid-term, generally speaking, you should withdraw before the mid-semester drop deadline. Otherwise, you will not be able to withdraw without approval from the Academic Regulations Committee (ARC), a faculty committee designed to review student requests for waivers of University Academic Rules and Procedures.

16. What if I want to take more than 18 credit hours per semester?

To take more than 18 credit hours during a semester, you need to get approval by filling out an overload form and submitting it to MHC 1143. If you have a GPA below 3.0, your academic advisor, Ms. Wall, will need to sign the form before you submit it, click here

17. How do I "cross-enroll" or apply as a "transient student"?

Cross-enrollment means that you are simultaneously enrolled in at least 6 hours at USF and any number of hours at another institution. Transient study means you are attending another institution besides USF for an entire semester (you are not enrolled in any USF courses while at the other institution). These forms may be found on the Financial Aid website:

18. How do I apply for graduation?

You apply for graduation by filling out the Bachelor's Degree Application form which can be found on Oasis.

19. I've applied for graduation. Now what do I do?

Successfully complete your last semester! Be sure to check the USF Commencement website for instructions on where and when the ceremony will be held, how to purchase your cap and gown, etc.