Academic Advising

Permits and Forms

Fill out the Course Permit Request Form for registration assistance with college courses typically taken in the first two years of the program (those without locks on the flowchart). View the flowcharts for each major to understand which courses are in the first two years of the program. Course Permit Request Form (click here)

Click the + to view information for each section below:

Requesting Permits for "locked" courses by department

Biomedical Engineering

Refer to the department contact list for course permit requests.

Chemical Engineering

The first courses ECH 3101 Chemical Thermodynamics and ECH 4846 Numerical Methods are unlocked (restriction removed) for lower division students.

Civil Engineering

Please contact Adea Arrison for registration assistance with EGN 3331, EGN 3353, EGN 4453 and restricted (locked) major classes.  Be sure to include your U# and course information.

Computer Science & Computer Engineering

Program Design COP 3514 and Computer Org CDA 3103 have no permits as students must meet progression requirements in order to register for these classes.  Apply for upper level degree progression via form link below.

Cybersecurity & Information Technology

After the registration period for continuing students has passed, courses CGS 3303, CIS 3433, and CIS 3213 will have the lock (ULDP restriction) removed to allow lower division majors to register for any available seats. Contact an ESS advisor for COP 3515 registration assistance.  Students must have met the requirements and applied for upper division progression to register for other locked courses.

Electrical Engineering

Both EGS 2070 Prof Formation for Engineering 1 and EEL 2161 EE Comp Methods (Programming with C) are unlocked (restriction removed) for lower division students.

Mechanical Engineering

EML 3035 Programming, EML 3022 CAD, and EML 3500 Mechanics of Solids are unlocked (restriction removed) for lower division students. For locked ME courses, use this permit form.

For questions or assistance with the upper division College of Engineering courses (those typically taken in the 3rd or 4th year and/or have locks on the flowchart), please see this department contact list.

Permits for courses outside of the College of Engineering

Math course permit form: Courses include Engineering Calculus, Differential Equations, Intro to Discrete Structures, Discrete Math, Intro Statistics

Chemistry course permit form: Courses include Chemistry for Engineers, General Chemistry, Organic Chemistry

Biology course permit form: Courses include Biology I or II

Physics course permit form: Courses include Conceptual Physics, General Physics I or II with Calculus PHY 2048 or PHY 2049

English course permit form: Courses include Composition I and II, Communication for Engineers ENC 3246

Major and minor declaration forms

Major Declaration Form (click here)

Students who are changing majors to a program in the college, but have not fully met progression requirements for the upper division in the major, should use this form.  To see the college admissions criteria, visit the College of Engineering section in the Undergraduate Catalog and click on "Admission Requirements."

Upper Level Degree Progression (ULDP) Form (click here)

Students who have fully met the progression requirements for the upper division use this form in order to take restricted upper level classes (those "locked" on the flowchart).  To view the progression requirements for your major, visit the Undergraduate Catalog and select your program name/major.  Completed forms are submitted to an Engineering Student Services advisor.

Minor Declaration Form (click here)

University forms

The Office of the Registrar has a forms page which has all the general university forms listed below and more.

  • Academic Regulations Committee (ARC) petition forms - Late Drop/Add petition form, Medical form, Instructor form, Reinstatement after dismissal form
  • Change of Address form
  • Change of Name Request form
  • Course Audit form
  • Fee Adjustment Request form
  • Grade Forgiveness Request form
  • Late Registration Fee Waiver form
  • Repeat Course Surcharge Waiver form
  • Summer Hours Waiver form