Global Classroom Home
USF Global classroom initiative
USF World is committed to making global education accessible to all students throughout their academic careers at USF. While study abroad programming has been a traditional avenue for immersive intercultural experiences, new technologies and techniques have made it easier for students to engage with the world from their USF classroom or from their homes. These experiences are not a substitute for student mobility, but help supplement existing programming and enrich curriculum with meaningful content and interactions.
The USF World Global Classroom Initiative encompasses five models of engagement:
- Virtual Global Exchange (VGE): Virtual Global Exchange connects faculty with counterparts at partner institutions
to collaborate on building an assignment or activity linked to one of their course
objectives. This allows students to collaborate and learn from one another. Faculty
maintain control over their students, classroom, and syllabus, but work together to
enhance the student experience and help them gain vital intercultural skills. If you are interested in designing a VGE experience please explore this section further.
- Integrated Virtual Activities: Integrated Virtual Activities seek to embed an element of an international program
into a regular USF course. Unlike Virtual Global Exchanges, students may not necessarily
interact with students abroad, but may engage in a cultural tour, guest lecture, or
other enhanced international element. While some ready-made experiences are available
for faculty use, the Education Abroad Office can also assist in customizing an experience
with a provider abroad, though this would normally result in a program cost that would
need to be assessed. You can read more about possible opportunities here.
- Global Tech Program: The Global Tech Program is a skills-based experience utilizing real industry data
and case studies to provide students a mock-work experience and produce portfolio
ready projects to enhance their résumés. Students also gain the global competencies
needed to work in that field internationally. Modules are led by industry leaders
with keen insights into the current trends and demands of their respective industries.
Students have the opportunity to earn badges that can be displayed on LinkedIn to
highlight their skillsets in Global Data Analytics, Global Digital Marketing, and
Global Coding & Web-Design. This program does not substitute for major specific coursework
in these areas, but can instead be used by students of any major to gain skillsets
associated with these fields. For more information, please see our website.
- Virtual Study Abroad: A virtual study abroad program is a self-contained experience allowing students to
engage in activities often found in a traditional study abroad program from the comfort
of home or a USF classroom. This might be similar to a faculty-led program, where
a USF faculty member plans and organizes a series of virtual experiences around their
course, or may be offered by one of our many affiliate and exchange partners. In the
latter case, credit hours would be transferred from the overseas institution. Faculty
interested in developing a program should contact Rene Sanchez at email@example.com at the Education Abroad Office to discuss their interest. To see a lisk of any current offerings, please click here.
- International Virtual Internships (IVI): Due the pandemic, companies all over the world transitioned to permanent work-from-home or a hybridized work environment. International Virtual Internships allow students to take full advantage of this change in the workforce to gain career-building experience and intercultural competencies so vital in the global market. Experiences are tied to internship credit at USF which can be taken without contributing to excess credit hours. Students are encouraged to speak to their academic departments about credit, as many departments offer their own internship course numbers that might be used in place of the generalized IDS 3947. Please explore for more information.