24/7 Global Assistance

Seeking Help and Assistance in an Emergency

If you are in an emergency situation abroad, you will need to know how to contact the police, an ambulance, or even the fire department. Not every country uses “911” as its emergency contact number, as we do in the United States. You can look up the “911 equivalent” number for your destination here.

Access this Emergency Contact Card Template to keep track of your emergency information while abroad. Before you leave, download it in MS Word or Adobe PDF format. Edit the document to include important phone numbers, print it out, and carry it with you at all times. You should also save it and store it as a .pdf on your phone for easy access. If you are attending an Education Abroad group program, your program leader will create a similar card for you and hand it out prior to your departure.

USF 24/7 International Assistance Line +1-813-317-5815 EAassist@usf.edu
UHCG Insurance and Evacuation +1-410-453-6330 Assistance@uhcglobal.com
U.S. Embassy American Citizen Services +1-202-501-4444  
Country Code and Dialing Instructions   www.howtocallabroad.com/

If you or a companion is experiencing a threat to life, limb, or eye, call an ambulance immediately and get transport to the nearest hospital or clinic! You should always identify hospitals or clinics that will be convenient to you prior to departure. You can find out by contacting our insurance carrier, United Health Care Global (UHCG), at Assistance@uhcglobal.com. You can also submit a request to EAassist@usf.edu.

If seeking medical care while abroad, you should open a case with UHCG. You can contact the USF 24/7 International Assistance Line and request that, or you can do it yourself. If you want to do it yourself, call them at +1-410-453-6330 (direct or collect). You will need to identify yourself and provide them with our policy #902591831. You can also email them at Global Assistance.
Another important number to identify is the closest U.S. Embassy or Consulate. They can help with identifying medical facilities or helping you navigate the legal system. You can determine that number by visiting the U.S. Department of State Country Information Sheet relevant to your destination.

Both UHCG and the U.S. Department of State have smartphone-friendly apps and websites. Please take the time to navigate them and set them up on your smartphone before you leave.

Visit Education Abroad's “Getting Help” page for more details on who to contact when you need emergency assistance.