Freshman Next Steps | Sarasota-Manatee Campus
Congratulations on your admission to the University of South Florida! We are so excited to welcome you to our tight-knit Sarasota-Manatee campus. Follow these steps to enroll as an official USF student and prepare for the first day of classes.
You can explore all required needs to enroll at USF or jump to the section relevant to you:
You will be able to complete the following steps immediately after admission to USF.
Please note that activating your NetID is the first step to enrolling at USF, if you have not done so yet.
You may complete the next steps in any order—but we recommend paying your admission deposit as soon as possible to secure your spot at USF. In this section, you’ll:
- Pay Your Admission Deposit
- Verify/Update Personal Information
- Submit Medical History and Immunization Form
- Apply for On-Campus Housing
Pay Your Admission Deposit | Required for all freshman students
This is the first official step to secure your spot at USF. You will need to submit your admission deposit to start on your next steps, like reserving an Orientation date and confirming your on-campus room assignment.
Freshmen are required to pay a nonrefundable admission deposit of $200. The deposit will be applied toward your first semester’s tuition charge. The deposit is due by May 1 for students admitted for the summer or fall term.
This nonrefundable deposit will both confirm and reserve your place in the class. Failure to pay the deposit by the deadline may result in the cancellation of your admission offer and admissions scholarships.
Deposit Waiver Request
If you think you qualify for an admission deposit waiver due to financial hardship, please email firstname.lastname@example.org to place your request with the appropriate justification.
After your waiver is applied, you will need to log into myBullsPath, click on the “Pay Admission Deposit” tile and then click on “Commit to Attending USF”.
Verify/Update Information | Recommended for all students
Verify or Update Residency Status
- To view your classification, log into the admissions portal and your residency status should display under your “Applicant Info.”
- To update your classification as a Florida resident for tuition purposes, log in to the admissions portal, select “Forms”, complete a Residency Declaration Form, and upload any requested documentation.
- Please note: All admissions scholarship disbursements are based upon residency status. If your residency status changes, your award allocation will be updated.
For full information on determining residency, check out our Residency webpage.
We encourage all students to apply for financial aid through the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) website. This will allow you to be considered for financial aid available based on your expected family income.
Deadlines for the FAFSA each year are:
- October 1 - FAFSA Application Opens
- January 1 - FAFSA Priority Deadline
- June 30 - FAFSA Final Deadline
Please note: If you are an incoming student for the summer semester, you will need to submit the 2023-24 and 2024-25 FAFSA.
Verify Personal Information
- To view/update your mailing address, telephone number and email address, log in to myUSF and navigate to My Resources > OASIS.
Accept Admissions Scholarship (Optional - As Needed)
If you were awarded an automatic admissions scholarship, please make sure to accept the Terms and Conditions of the scholarship to ensure aid disbursement.
- Portal: OASIS
- Navigation: myUSF > My Resources > OASIS > Financial Aid > My Award and Loan Information
> Select Aid Year from Dropdown Menu
- Under the “Terms & Conditions” tab, carefully review the requirements of your scholarship
- Select “Accept” to verify that you understand the terms and conditions associated with your award
Update Campus, Term of Entry or Major (Optional - As Needed)
- To change your term of entry, visit the admissions portal, select “Forms”, and complete an Application Update Form.
- If your entry term was changed by USF during the application process, you are not eligible to update back to the original entry term requested on your application.
- To change your major after admission, you must reach out to the academic advisor in your new intended major for next steps.
- To change your campus after admission, you must reach out to your academic advisor at your current campus for next steps.
- If your campus was changed by USF during the application process, you are not eligible to update back to the original campus requested on your application.
Apply for Housing and Meal Plan | Recommended for all freshman students
Living on campus is not required for freshmen but we recommend all students apply
for housing at USF. Spaces for on-campus housing fill up quickly and are not guaranteed to incoming students,
so start the housing application process early.
Start by reviewing your housing options and available meal plans on the Sarasota-Manatee campus. Then apply for housing and a meal plan. Housing applications open during the following months each year based on entry term:
- Spring Semester - September 1
- Summer and Fall Semesters - December 12
Please note: You will not be able to select a room through Housing until you submit an admission deposit and reserve an Orientation date.
Submit Medical History and Immunization Form | Required for all students
You cannot register for courses until your completed Medical History and Immunizations Form has been received, so be sure to submit it in a timely fashion.
Please note: This form requires formal authorization from a healthcare provider, so please ensure to leave time to complete this task for enrollment.
How to Upload Completed Form
There are three methods to upload your completed form:
- myBullsPath: You can log into myBullsPath using your NetID and password. After clicking on the “Submit Required Health Documents” card, you may submit your form directly through the portal. Click “Submit Medical History & Immunization Form” at the top of the page, and you will be prompted to upload your documents from your device to myBullsPath.
- Admissions Portal: Log into the Admissions Portal using your NetID and password. Select “My Workspace”, followed by “My Documents” and upload your form.
- Web Submission: You may submit your form directly to Student Health Services through the web submission option.
Please do not send in the form to the Office of Admissions directly. Submit the form only through the approved options above.
Submitting your admission deposit informs us of your intention to attend USF. You can complete the following steps concurrently after submitting your deposit.
You may complete the next steps in any order - but we recommend applying for reserving an Orientation date as soon as they become available as space fills up quickly. In this section, you’ll:
- Reserve an Orientation Date
- Take the Math Placement Test
- Access the USF Parent & Family Portal
Reserve an Orientation Date | Required for all freshman students
Admitted freshmen must register for, attend and complete all Orientation requirements. At Orientation, you’ll register for courses, so be sure to sign up for the earliest Orientation date possible to benefit from increased class availability. Orientation reservations open during the following months each year based on entry term:
- Spring Semester - October
- Summer and Fall Semesters - February
If you fail to reserve and complete Orientation, your admission to USF may be cancelled.
Please note: If you received an Admission Deposit Waiver, you will need to click “Commit to Attending USF” through the “Pay Admission Deposit” tile on myBullsPath to reserve an Orientation date.
Take the Math Placement Test | Recommended for all freshman students
USF uses your SAT/ACT/CLT Math scores for placement in the appropriate math courses. However, you may not have earned your best possible score while taking the SAT/ACT/CLT. To ensure you are enrolled in the correct math course, we encourage you to take the placement test as soon as possible, preferably before you are registered for courses.
Please note: Students with a SAT Math 670+ or ACT Math 29+ do not need to take the test.
How to Access Course in Canvas
- Portal: Canvas, through MyUSF
- Navigation: MyUSF > Learning & Teaching Tools > Canvas > Courses > Math Placement Test
- Follow the instructions on the home page, and please read the “Announcements”.
Access the USF Parent & Family Portal | Recommended for all freshman families
In order to stay up-to-date on all things USF, we recommend that parents and families sign up for the USF Parent & Family Portal. This invaluable tool will help you ensure your Bull stays on top of upcoming deadlines, as well as additional USF resources.
Submit Final High School Transcript - Required for all freshman students
Immediately after your high school graduation is reflected on your transcript, you must submit a final high school transcript and any college transcripts from dual enrollment courses. Your admission is contingent upon submitting final transcripts, and we may rescind your admission offer and financial aid (including Bright Futures) will not disburse if they are not received by the first day of class.
Submit AP, IB, AICE, Etc. Scores - Optional/as needed for freshman students
Scores from any examination that may grant college credit, including Advanced Placement or International Baccalaureate, should be sent to the Office of Admissions as soon as they are available. Advanced Placement and International Baccalaureate scores must be sent electronically. All eligible credit-by-exam equivalents will be listed on the USF catalog for reference.
You may complete the next steps in any order—along with the steps in the “Before the First Day of Classes” section. In this section, you’ll:
- Complete Required Courses and Modules
- Purchase a USFCard
- Purchase a Parking Permit
Complete Required Courses and Modules - Required for all students
AlcoholEDU for College and Sexual Assault Prevention for Undergraduates (SAPU)
You will receive an email directly from EverFi after Orientation with instructions and links for accessing the modules. EverFi will email your USF email, so make sure you check it regularly! You must earn a score of 80 percent or higher in each module by the deadline to successfully fulfill this student requirement.
Life Skills Modules
- Portal: USF Canvas
- Navigation: Once logged in, click on the course titled Life Skills Module.
Career Readiness Module
- Portal: USF Canvas
- Navigation: Once logged in, click on the course titled Career Readiness Module.
Purchase a USFCard - Required for all students
Your USFCard will be used while you are on campus to verify your identity. Request a USFCard before you start at USF through the online process and pick up in-person at office B116. Contact the Sarasota-Manatee campus Cashier’s Office at (941) 359-4220 or e-mail email@example.com prior to arriving on campus to confirm availability.
Please have a driver’s license or some other form of ID available when picking up your ID card.
Purchase a Parking Permit - Required for students parking on campus
Parking permits are required on campus 24/7. Make sure to register your vehicle and pay for your decal before the semester begins. Please request a parking permit through the online process below and pick up in-person at office B116. Contact the Sarasota-Manatee campus Cashier’s Office at (941) 359-4220 or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org prior to arriving on campus to confirm availability.
Please have a driver’s license or some other form of ID available when picking up parking permit.
You may complete the next steps in any order.
Complete Unsatisfied Requirements and Accept Financial Aid Awards
Verify if you have any unsatisfied Financial Aid requirements in OASIS prior to your first day of classes.
- Portal: OASIS
- Navigation: MyUSF > My Resources > Oasis > Financial Aid
Subscribe to eDeposit
The University of South Florida offers the electronic deposit process called eDeposit to all of our customers. eDeposit allows your net financial aid and student refunds to be directly deposited into your personal bank account.
- Portal: OASIS
- Navigation: MyUSF > My Resources > Oasis > Student > Tuition, Fees & Payment
Familiarize Yourself with USF Tools and Information
Purchase and Organize Supplies for Courses
- The Sarasota-Manatee campus bookstore is located just off campus at 6301 N. Tamiami Trail, Sarasota, FL 34243. You can also visit the USF Sarasota-Manatee bookstore online.
- The Sarasota-Manatee campus offers computer lab usage for students.
- We have highlighted specific college apps you might find useful for classes on our Admit-a-Bull blog.
Accessibility Accommodations (Optional - As Needed)
First-year students may apply for accommodations once admitted to the University of South Florida. Students are responsible for identifying themselves to Student Accessibility Services and presenting proper medical documentation to receive academic accommodations.
Examples of accommodations can include but are not limited to:
- Alternative Text
- Class Notes and Note Takers
- Test Taking Accommodations
- Hearing Impairment Accommodations
For a full list of accommodations and how to apply, visit the Student Accessibility Services website.
Pay Tuition and Fees (Due by First Friday of Semester, 5 p.m. ET)
Check out our blog for articles on how to successfully navigate the start of your college experience:
- 5 Tips to Meet New People at College
- What to Expect When You Start College