For Faculty & Staff

Business Travel Without Students

USF World is responsible for providing business traveler services as appropriate for approved USF international travel. Whether the planned travel involves a short conference in Puerto Rico, a cruise to the waters off of Tahiti, or a research project in the jungles of Cameroon, USF World is here to help. Please take advantage of the services listed here to help make your next global experience productive and safe.

What is a USF Business Traveler?
Business travel includes any non-student international traveler on University business regardless of the funding source.

What are the responsibilities of a USF Business Traveler?
Business travelers must obtain travel authorization and approval at the college/school/departmental level and go through the Archivum System to ensure that all travel requirements have been met prior to departure. Complete a Travel Request (TR) with your Department or Unit and make sure to include your emergency contact information abroad, as well an emergency contact stateside. Also, please make sure that each international destination in which you will stay overnight is reflected in the TR. If the city name if not available as a selection, please include it/them in the TR "Description" field.

Business travelers who complete the Travel Request process are automatically covered by the USF group insurance policy serviced through International SOS. This provides emergency medical and evacuation coverage at no cost to you for up to 180 days of travel. Even if your business travel is fully funded by a sponsor or other institution, you must complete a USF Travel Request. Simply complete a TR with a $1.00 estimated cost, and be sure to abide by any Department or Unit-specific guidelines for international travel.

You can review USF Travel policies through the USF Controller's Office. Under the purview of the USF Controller's Office, it is the responsibility of the Travel Department to process all payments related to USF business travel. USF Travel receives Expense Reports and requests for Advance and Direct Payments related to travel; audits submissions for compliance with current university policies and procedures; and processes payments to employees and outside vendors incurring travel expenses on behalf of the university. Please refer to the Travel website for contact information, relevant information, important forms and direction regarding the proper submission of requests.

Services For the Business Traveler

Know Before You Go - Research Your Destination

You will want to familiarize yourself with your destination, learn how to stay safe while abroad, and know how to protect your health. You will find helpful information regarding how to prepare for international flights, obtain foreign currency, manage your credit cards abroad, anticipate the weather, know what to pack, how to use your smart phone effectively, and many other topics for the new and seasoned traveler through the resources identified below.

Click here to see three up-to-date resources that we have found to be extremely comprehensive and helpful with destination and safety research.

U.S. Department of State: The U.S. Department of State has a wealth of information including such things as passports, country profiles, and current travel alerts & warnings.

You can also Enroll in STEP, the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program sponsored by the U.S. Department of State as a free service. Once you set up an account it is yours for life. Simply update your itinerary in your STEP account and the local U.S. Embassy will instantly know you are there. You will then be able to receive security messages, alerts, and warnings by email.

United Kingdom Foreign and Commonwealth Office: This United Kingdom website offers much the same information as does the U.S. Department of State but from the UK's perspective. It also offers interactive resources for travel and living abroad by region and country.

GoinGlobal Guides: Country guides are accessible once you are logged in through USF's unique link and select the "Career Guide" option. Critical information for traveling abroad is located in the "Cultural Advice" portion of each selected country's Career Guide under the "Living There" section.


USF Services Available for International Business Travelers

Export control, risk and security, international health, and pre-departure information are four types of requests for information and reviews that you can make prior to departure.

Click here to view some review processes that USF has for international business travelers.

Request an Export Controls Review: USF is committed to the highest level of compliance with U.S. export control regulations. The Office of Export Controls at the University of South Florida was established to help faculty, researchers, and staff navigate the complex environment of export regulations. If your intended destination is listed as a country of concern here you must contact the Office of Export Controls as soon as possible. For example, a license to Cuba can take months to procure. You can reach Fred Pflueger, the USF Export Control Officer at (813) 974-0554.

Request an International Health Consultation: Not all medications are legal or available abroad. ISOS can provide a pre-travel assessment specific to your health issues. Register through the International SOS Assistance App. Also, remember that all medications, whether they be prescription, over the counter, or simply vitamins, should be in their original containers. TSA generally questions anything that resembles medicine that is not labeled properly and without proper documentation.

Request a Pre-departure Orientation: The USF World Global Travel, Safety, and Health unit has a pre-departure orientation that can be delivered in person or online to a single traveler or a team of travelers. It can be customized to the specific location and activities that your travel requires. To get more information about this service, please contact

Insurance Considerations

The University of South Florida has committed to a robust and comprehensive international health and evacuation insurance policy for all USF international business travelers. This policy is serviced through International SOS. There is no additional cost to travelers for this coverage, and the policy provides coverage for health expenses, medical emergencies, and evacuation in case of political unrest and natural disaster.

To initiate coverage, all that a USF business traveler must do is complete the travel process through Archivum. You can find complete policy information in the main Insurance Information section.

Insurance for Accompanying Family Members

If you plan to travel with a spouse or other family members, it is very important to obtain additional medical insurance coverage as the medical insurance provided by USF only provides coverage for USF travelers on USF business during authorized dates of travel. You can easily add dependents to the coverage by following the ISOS enrollment procedures for dependents found in the main Insurance Information section.

Auto, Boat and Air Carrier Considerations

Faculty/staff intending to drive abroad should research vehicle insurance and driver's license requirements for each country. You can be held liable for any accidents or damage if you are driving without the proper driver's license. Be sure to check the International SOS Assistance App for road conditions and known hazards.

  • Auto Liability, Comprehensive, and Collision coverage does need to be purchased if USF faculty or staff on USF business are renting or leasing a vehicle in another country. The insurance must be purchased in the country from where the vehicle is being rented/leased to avoid any gaps in coverage. Do not rely on insurance policies that are part of a credit card benefit, or a personal automobile insurance policy that was written in the United States. This is a reimbursable expense.
    • A valid driver license that is likewise valid in the country where the vehicle operation occurs is required. Some countries allow a valid U.S. driver's license while others require a valid international driver's license. The U.S. Department of State often provides this information in the Country Information Sheet.
    • Verify that the number of passengers being transported and that the type of vehicle used can be operated legally under the driver's license restrictions for the operator. USF recommends operating nothing larger than a 12 passenger van. Vans holding 15 or more passengers are not recommended. They may require a CDL - Commercial Driver's License or a Chauffer's License. They are also not recommended due to the higher level of risk for serious and fatal rollover crashes per recent NTSA studies.

  • Renting or leasing a boat to transport USF students is not recommended in most cases. However, in certain situations it may be supported provided insurance and licensing can be verified and the use aligns with the educational goals of the program. In certain countries, using a local ferry is not recommended. Check out for more information.
  • Always use FAA regulated carriers when traveling to and from your countries of destination. Be wary of in-county regional carriers and charter services

Global Travel Emergency

The safety of all USF international business travelers is of the utmost importance to USF World. Please familiarize yourself with the Emergency Assistance While Abroad section of this webbsite before your departure. Here you will find valuable information regarding "911" contacts abroad, how to dial globally, and ISOS contact information for services overseas.


If there is a threat to life, limb, or eye, USF faculty, staff, volunteers, and students should seek local assistance immediately. Dial the local equivalent to "911" ("112" is also common) or use other known local resources for help. The U.S. State Department offers country-specific emergency phone numbers in their country information pages (under "Safety and Security").

Other Tips for Being Prepared for an Emergency Abroad

  1. Make sure your personal cell phone is activated for international long distance or that you purchase a temporary phone in country that has international service.
  2. Download the ISOS Assistance App from Google Play or the iPhone Store. It will give you quick access to the phone numbers and addresses of the U.S. embassy and consular offices for the country(s) you will visit, as well as alerts, warnings, and more.
  3. Make sure you have the correct country codes and international access codes for dialing internationally. You can identify them at
  4. ALWAYS test your phone the first day in country by making an international call and then receiving an international call.
  5. Program the Emergency Assistance email address into your phone or email application: This email is also monitored after hours and on the weekends.
  6. Make sure you know the local emergency ("911") numbers.