Student Employment

Hiring An International Student

Hiring A USF International Student to Work for USF

Before Graduation

International students, with F-1 and J-1 visas, who are full-time enrolled are allowed to accept on campus employment for 20 hours per week during the regular semester. They can be employed on-campus 40 hours per week during official breaks, such as the winter break and summer.

After Graduation

Upon the date of graduation, F-1 and J-1 students may no longer work anywhere without special authorization. F-1 students must have a valid Employment Authorization Document (EAD Card) and J-1 students must have work authorization noted on page 1 of their DS-2019 to be eligible to work anywhere. 

Hiring an International Student for a job Outside USF

To work off-campus, an F-1 or J-1 student must have special authorization. Depending on the type of authorization, this will either be noted on page 2 of their I-20 or DS-2019 Form or in the form of an Employment Authorization Document (EAD) card.

For further guidance on hiring an international student please see the USCIS Handbook for Employers.