Students must have a receipt from Social Security or the actual Social Security Number prior to their employment start date.
Here is how a student may obtain his/her Social Security Number (SSN):
- Enroll for full-time courses
- Get a job offer from an on-campus job
- Submit the Social Security Letter e-form in iStart
- OIS will notify you when your SSN letter is ready
- Submit the letter from OIS, job offer letter and SSN application to the SSN office
- When you submit your request with the SSN office, ask for a receipt that you can provide to HR. This will allow you to begin working prior to receiving of your SSN card.
- The SSN office will mail you the SSN card in about a month.
- Additional information about Social Security Numbers:
- Security Checks can delay the card
- The SSN is for employment purposes only
- It is FRAUD to seek a job offer with no intention of taking the job
- USF departments will contact IS if they write an offer letter and the student does not show up at the job
To work off-campus, an F-1 or J-1 student must have special authorization. Depending on the type of authorization, this will be noted on their I-20 Form (page 2) or DS-2019 Form (Page 1) or in the form of an Employment Authorization Document (EAD) card. To request the SSN, take the authorizing document all other travel documents (ie. passport, visa, I-94, I-20 or DS-2019) to the SSN office.
Note: For work authorizations noted on the I-20/DS-2019 Form, the SSN office will only issue a number for paid positions.
Address: 4010 Gunn Highway Suite #100 Tampa, FL 33618
Phone Number: (813) 269-0223 or toll-free 1-800-772-1213
Hours: Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, Friday: 9:00 AM - 4:00 PM
Wednesday: 9:00 AM -12:00 PM
*There are no appointments available, please plan to wait for at least 2 hours.
The office is located at the corner of Gunn Highway and Linebaugh Avenue, one block West of Dale Mabry in the Carrollwood Crossings Office Complex. There are three buildings in this and the Social Security Administration office is located in the back.
- Start at 4202 E. Fowler Avenue (USF Campus) going west toward Leroy Collins Boulevard
- Take a left onto North Nebraska Avenue
- Turn right on East Busch Boulevard
- Continue on Gunn Highway
- Turn into 4010 Gunn Highway (on the side)
Public Transportation Directions:
- Take Route #5 to University Area Transport Center (UATC) from Alumni Drive on USF campus.
- Transfer to Route #6 going North to Netpark
- Take Route #39 going west to 4010 Gunn Highway
Other Helpful Social Security Resources