The available four health plan options are Florida Blue (Standard or High Deductible) PPO and AvMed (Standard or High Deductible) HMO.
Health insurance is available to Faculty, Administration, Staff, and Temporary employees. Temporary employees must work an average of at least 30 hours per week at the point of hire or over a defined measurement period to be eligible for benefits. Graduate Assistants and Postdoctoral Scholars should refer to the left menu corresponding to employment type.
New employees have 60 calendar days from the date of hire to enroll in a health insurance plan. Premiums are collected a month in advance. Coverage is effective the first day of the month after a full month’s premium has been collected. Employees are able to elect the early health enrollment option with premiums being paid by the employee.
- Employees can enroll and make changes to their plan during open enrollment each year. Those changes are effective January 1 for the new plan year.
- Employees may also make changes to their election during certain qualifying mid-year events.
- Enrollment and election changes are completed by the employee through People First.
- If you are new to State of Florida/University employment, your default password for the People First website will be PfMMDDYY; (upper case P, lower case f, and your date of birth in a six-digit format).
Health Plan Options
- HMO Option: Covered members must use a designated network of providers and facilities. If using a non-network provider, the entire cost for care received is the member’s responsibility.
- PPO Option: Covered members may receive care from any doctor or healthcare provider. The cost is lower when using a PPO in-network provider. The deductible must be met before the plan pays towards the cost of healthcare services, except for most preventative care services.
- View more information about the Health Plan Options on the State of Florida website.
Prescription Drug Plan
- Standard PPO and HMO Options: Covered member’s responsibility is subject to established copays for a 30-day and 90-day supply.
- High Deductible PPO and HMO Options: Covered member’s responsibility is subject to coinsurance.
- View more information about the Prescription Drug Plan on the State of Florida website.
The spouse program is available to an employee and married spouse when both individuals work for a state of Florida agency in state health insurance eligible positions. Cost for family coverage is $15 per employee. A Spouse Program Election Form must be completed and submitted to People First.
- See FAQs - Insurance & PF for more information.
- View more information about the Spouse Program on the State of Florida website.