State of Florida Life Insurance Plans
For comprehensive information on the plans below, visit the State of Florida Life Insurance Plans page.
State Life Insurance (Basic)
The university provides a free, basic group term life insurance benefit of $25,000 to all eligible full-time employees. Eligible part-time employees pay prorated premiums based on their FTE. Temporary employees pay the full premium.
Optional Term Life Insurance
Eligible salaried employees, excluding Temporary employees, who are enrolled in basic life insurance coverage may elect additional employee paid term life insurance. Benefit election amounts are available between one and seven times base annual earnings, up to $1,000,000. Medical underwriting may be required.
Dependent Spouse Term Life Insurance
All employees enrolled in basic group term life insurance may elect employee paid dependent spouse coverage. Spouses may be enrolled in either a $15,000 or $20,000 benefit. Coverage is guaranteed issue if elected when the spouse first becomes eligible. Medical underwriting may be required after the initial eligibility period.
Dependent Child Term Life Insurance
All employees enrolled in basic term life insurance may elect employee paid dependent child coverage. The child(ren) will be enrolled in a $10,000 benefit. Coverage is guaranteed issue.
Enrollment and election changes for all four above life insurance options are completed by the employee through People First.
Gabor Life Benefits
Gabor offers a variety of life insurance policies to USF employees. The plans may be used to supplement other insurance policies, and insurance may be purchased for an employee’s spouse and dependents. The premium cost varies based on the policy, amount of coverage, and age of the insured. To enroll in one of these plans please contact a representative from Gabor.
Group Term Life Insurance is a low cost life insurance policy with coverage that does not decrease with age as long as employment continues and premiums are paid. This policy is offered Guaranteed Issue with no medical exam required during the first 60 days of employment or during periodic open enrollments up to four times annual salary with a maximum limit of $200,000. Employee spouses are also eligible for guaranteed coverage up to $50,000 if payroll deducted. Group Term Life Insurance is portable, so if you leave your job or retire, you can take your policy with you. * Underwritten by Standard Insurance Company.
Whole Life Insurance with Mass Mutual offers permanent protection with premiums that never increase, and allows you to provide for your family even when you can't be there for them. See the Mass Mutual Guarantees and Plan Features below. * Underwritten by Mass Mutual Life Insurance Company.
Mass Mutual@ Work Whole Life comes with three guarantees:
- Guaranteed Death Benefit
- Guaranteed Level Premium
- Guaranteed Increases in Cash Value
Other features of this plan include:
- Easy Payroll Deduction with no paper bills to pay.
- Offered to benefit eligible employees on a guaranteed issue basis or streamlined underwriting up to $250,000.00. Coverage offered to spouses in amounts of $25,000 or $50,000 on a simplified underwriting basis; Coverage offered to dependents guaranteed issue for $25,000.00.
- Full portability of coverage; if you leave your job or retire the plan goes with you with no rate increase.
- Owners are eligible to receive dividends. While dividends are not guaranteed, MassMutual has paid them to participating policy owners consistently since the 1860s.
Full time employees in a benefit-eligible position or part time employees with .50 FTE in a benefit-eligible position.
Level Term Life Insurance offered through Gabor is the least expensive form of life insurance available through the University. (Underwritten by Symetra Life Insurance Company)
Features of this plan include:
- Easy Payroll Deduction
- Competitive Pricing - Level Term provides gender based ratings
- Predictable Premiums - Premiums will not increase during your initial term
- Customizable Coverage - Choose a term that fits your needs: 10, 15, 20, 30 years
- Advanced Access for Illness - If you are diagnosed with a terminal illness
- Portable Coverage - If you leave your job or retire, your policy goes with you with no increase in rates
For more information, visit The Gabor Agency Website for USF employees.