Institutes & Centers
Institutes and Centers are established to coordinate, support, and extend a University's research, service, and training activities.
The establishment, operation, and termination of Institutes and Centers are governed by, Florida Board of Governors (BOG) Regulation 10.015 and USF Policy 10-063.
REPORTING REQUIREMENTS FOR CENTERS AND INSTITUTES
Institutes or Centers that are primarily engaged in research or community partnerships are not required to document assessment activities through Institutional Effectiveness via SAM. Instead, the annual planning and evaluation process will occur at the college level (i.e. with an associate dean for research, etc.).
Institutes or Centers that directly support student learning, student success, and/or student achievement are required by SACSCOC to document annual assessment activities. The annual plans and reports must be submitted in SAM, starting January 2019 based on the fiscal year cycle and Due dates can be found here.
In addition to the annual report submitted to the Office of Resource Management and Analysis (RMA), a formal review of the Center or Institute is required by the Florida Board of Governors (BOG) at least every seven years. At a minimum, all seven-year evaluations/reviews must include the following elements:
- A determination of the institute or center's progress against defined goals and objectives within the context of the institute or center's mission, university mission, and the current Board of Governor's Strategic Plan;
- An assessment of the return on investment of State dollars, if applicable;
- The need for continuation of the institute or center;
- Possible changes in mission or organizational structure;
- Budget reduction or expansion;
- Date of director's most recent annual evaluation;
- Recommendations for a status change (active, inactive, or terminated) and;
- The date of the last institute or center evaluation/review;
- The date of the next seven year review for each center is included in the I&C inventory.
RESOURCES FOR ESTABLISHING AND MANAGING INSTITUTES AND CENTERS