Scholars & Employees
Pre & Post Arrival
After receiving your DS-2019 from USF, it is time to prepare to come to the Tampa Bay area.
If you are outside the US:
- Pay the SEVIS I-901 fee
- Make an appointment for a J-1 visa at a US Embassy or Consulate.
- After receiving the visa stamp in your passport, make arrangements to arrive in Florida. Tampa International Airport is the closest airport.
- You and any J-2 dependents may enter the US up to thirty (30) days before program start date on the DS-2019.
If you are inside the US:
- OIS will work with your J-1 program sponsor to arrange transfer of your SEVIS record to USF.
- Your category, subject/field code, and program objective cannot change.
- USF will not have access to the SEVIS record to produce the final DS-2019 until you arrive at USF.
Airport Pick Up Resources:
- Tampa International Airport Ground Transportation
- USF’s Friends of Internationals free airport pickup
The university does not place scholars into housing. Make arranges using the links below:
Mandatory Document Check
- You will upload copies of immigration documents and provide information via iStart eforms.
- Mandatory Document Check occurs during one of the days/times below.
|Monday||10:00 a.m. - 11:00 a.m.|
|Tuesday||10:00 a.m. - 11:00 a.m.|
|1:00 p.m. - 2:00 p.m.|
|Friday||10:00 a.m. - 11:00 a.m.|
- View a map to our office on our Contact Us page.
- If you have not uploaded or completed all post arrival eforms in iStart, arrive one hour early for assistance.
- During Document Check, OIS will “activate” your SEVIS record.
- Two days (48 hours) after SEVIS activation, you can apply for an SSN number at the local SSA office.
- After Document Check, you may complete Right Start with Human Resources if you are employed at USF and any department on-boarding.
- OIS conducts Scholar Orientation on the second Tuesday of each month.
- Scholars are required to attend the next available session.
- Dependents are welcome to attend the orientation.
- OIS offers a full range of activities for scholars and their families during their stay at USF. Scholars are notified via email.
- Departments are expected to include scholars in departmental meetings and events.