Scholars & Employees
Pre & Post Arrival
After receiving your DS-2019 from USF, it is time to prepare to come to the Tampa Bay area.
If you are outside the US:
- Pay the SEVIS I-901 fee
- Make an appointment for a J-1 visa at a US Embassy or Consulate.
- After receiving the visa stamp in your passport, make arrangements to arrive in Florida. Tampa International Airport is the closest airport.
- You and any J-2 dependents may enter the US up to thirty (30) days before program start date on the DS-2019.
If you are inside the US:
- OIS will work with your J-1 program sponsor to arrange transfer of your SEVIS record to USF.
- Your category, subject/field code, and program objective cannot change.
- USF will not have access to the SEVIS record to produce the final DS-2019 until you arrive at USF.
Airport Pick Up Resources:
- Tampa International Airport Ground Transportation
- USF’s Friends of Internationals free airport pickup
The university does not place scholars into housing. Make arrangements using the links below:
Mandatory Document Check
- Once you have completed the required e-forms, please email email@example.com to arrange a Document Check. We will then schedule a virtual meeting via Teams to review your uploaded documents.
- During Document Check, OIS will “activate” your SEVIS record.
- Two days (48 hours) after SEVIS activation, you can apply for an SSN number at the local SSA office.
- After Document Check and after applying for your SSN, you may complete Right Start with Human Resources if you are employed at USF and any department on-boarding.
- OIS conducts Scholar Orientation on the second Tuesday of each month.
- Scholars are required to attend the next available session.
- Dependents are welcome to attend the orientation.
- During your first week with your new USF department you should be provided with your University ID Number (U Number) and a Net ID. Once you have your U Number, login to iStart and complete the Update your U Number E-Form to complete the scholar checklist. This step is mandatory in order to allow you to access iStart resources as a continuing scholar at USF.
- OIS offers a full range of activities for scholars and their families during their stay at USF. Scholars are notified via email.
- Departments are expected to include scholars in departmental meetings and events.