Frequently Asked Questions

How do I change my home campus?

How do I receive a permit for a course?

Can higher grades earned repeating courses affect my GPA?

The University of South Florida's Grade Forgiveness Policy permits you, as an undergraduate or non-degree seeking student, to repeat a course and have that grade computed in your grade point average in place of your original grade. The repeated course grade must be a "D" or higher. Once you are awarded a bachelor's degree, however, USF's Grade Forgiveness Policy cannot be applied to courses you took toward that degree, and you are limited to three Grade Forgivenesses with no more than one repeat per course. Also, a student receiving an "FF" grade indicating academic dishonesty cannot use the Grade Forgiveness Policy subsequent to course repetition.

How do I calculate my GPA?

Calculate your GPA by dividing the total number of quality points earned at USF by the total number of non-excluded course credit hours attempted at USF. Quality points per course are equal to the course credit hours multiplied by the grade quality value.

Grade quality values are as follow: A/A+ = 4.00 ; A- = 3.67 ; B+ = 3.33 ; B = 3.00 ;

B- = 2.67 ; C+ = 2.33 ; C = 2.00 ; C- = 1.67 ; D+ = 1.33 ; D = 1.00 ; D- = .67 ; F = 0

Exclude I, IU, M, MU, N, S, U, W, Z and E graded courses from the total hours attempted calculation.

An example/hypothetical GPA calculation follows:

249.64 / 63.91 = 3.9

Can credits earned as a Non-Degree Student transfer Into my degree program?

As an accepted student at USF, you may apply to transfer a limited number of hours taken as a non-degree student into your degree program; a maximum of twelve semester hours taken at the graduate level and fourteen maximum at the undergraduate level. Contact the college of your major. Transfer credit for more than twelve graduate level hours taken as a non-degree student must be approved by the Dean of the Graduate School. A maximum of eight semester hours (or three courses) may be transferred from another graduate school. Transfer work must be posted to your student academic record no later than one full term prior to your graduation.

Your completed Graduate Transfer Courses Form, available only in the department of your college, should include your student ID, the term in which you were admitted to your graduate program, the applicable College/Department, the courses to be transferred, and the signature of your Advisor and the Department Director or College Dean of your graduate program. The department of your college will directly submit approved forms to the Office of the Registrar at SVC 1034.

What is the excess hours surcharge?

In 2009, the Florida Legislature implemented Section 1009.286, Florida Statutes to encourage students to complete their baccalaureate degree as quickly and efficiently as possible. It established what is commonly referred to as an "Excess Credit Hour Surcharge." The provisions of this section became effective for students who entered a Florida community college or a Florida public university for the first time in the 2009-2010 academic year and thereafter.

Learn more about Excess Hours on our webpage.  

Can I waive the summer enrollment requirement?

You may request a waiver of mandatory summer enrollment for one of the following three reasons:

Summer employment documented on official employer letterhead every summer term not enrolled. The documentation must clearly indicate that you were engaged in seasonal employment only during summer.

Academic program courses unavailable summer terms documented on official letterhead from your academic advisor or Dean.

Unusual hardship due to exceptional circumstances well beyond your control. Directly related, appropriate supporting documentation detailing the extenuating circumstances must accompany your waiver application for review.

Summer Enrollment Requirement Waiver Applications should be submitted to the Office of the Registrar during the semester in which you anticipate graduation.

Allow 3 weeks for processing and for receipt of approval or denial.

How do I withdraw from USF?

As an undergraduate student, if you do not register for classes for three consecutive semesters you will automatically be withdrawn from USF.  To resume classes you must reapply.

If you are a graduate student, you must complete the Graduate Voluntary Withdrawal Form

When can I get a grade verification letter?

Current term grades are reflected on official USF transcripts approximately one week after final exams; e.g. late December for Fall semester and late May for Spring semester. Transcripts are $10 per copy (transcript fee subject to change) and can be ordered online via OASIS.

During Summer term, sessions A & C only, a grade verification letter may be requested from the Office of the Registrar at the end of the session. The end of Summer session B coincides with the end of the entire Summer term; therefore, only official USF transcripts are available for Summer session B in late August.

Grade verification letter requests for Summer sessions A or C must be submitted in writing to the Office of the Registrar. The written request must include the student's name, USF ID, session A or C courses taken, signature, third party address (university, community college, employer etc.) to be mailed. To have the grade verification letter mailed, you will need to provide a self-addressed stamped envelope. A grade verification letter will be available for pick-up in person within the next business day or will be mailed to the requested third party within 48 hours.

Note: Grade verification letters will only verify a grade submitted by a Summer session A or C session course instructor. Grade point averages are only calculated at the end of the entire Summer term; therefore, grade verification letters will not include grade point averages.

How do I request USF student directory information data?

The Office of the Registrar only provides directory information on the following groups of students:

1. Currently Enrolled Students
2. Applicants for Graduation
3. Awarded Graduates.

Data on currently enrolled students is only released after students have an opportunity to 'opt out', therefore in the Fall semester we do not release files until the fifth week of the term, in Spring and Summer terms, it is the third week of the term.

Semester Deadline for Students to Opt-Out
Fall semester: Fifth week of the term
Spring semester: Third week of the term
Summer session: Third week of the term

Students seeking privacy of their student records may submit their request electronically through the Office of the Registrar Privacy Request web page.

The Office of the General Counsel provides a comprehensive listing of Directory Information criteria on USF's Student Records Policy.

Do I qualify for a fee adjustment In support of my ARC Petition?

The ARC decision does not affect fee liability and will not automatically be approved because an ARC Petition has been approved. The fee adjustment is an entirely separate process. The only part that links this to the student's ARC Petition is that the petition must be approved by the college before submitting the Fee Adjustment Form. Also, students must complete a Fee Adjustment Request within six months of the end of the semester being petitioned through the Office of the Registrar to address fee liability. All decision are final. An appeal may be processed if the original fee adjusted requested additional information. 

If your ARC Petition form was approved and the courses were within six month of the end of the semester, you may download the fee adjustment form, complete it, sign and date it and either submit the form along with supporting documentation to Ask the Registrar or you may drop the fee adjustment form and supporting documentation off in person to the Office of the Registrar in SVC 1034.

How do I submit a research request?

Academic researchers, undergraduate or graduate students seeking student records data from the Office of the Registrar for their thesis or dissertation study must submit their request in writing and allow for ample time for their request to be processed. Students that seek enrollment or graduation statistics should direct their request to the Office of Decision Support. The Office of the Registrar will agree to develop the requested file once the following requirements are met: (1) Submission of a Research Request Form, (2) receipt of an approval letter from the Institutional Review Board (IRB) and (3) a letter or email of support for the study from the faculty advisor, course instructor or committee chair. Only non-directory information or non-personally identifiable information may be released directly to the requestor. If an email blast is requested to be sent out to the targeted student population, the request must be aligned with the Email to Students policy. Questions pertaining to IRB approval may be directed to the IRB Research & Compliance Administrator.