Resident Assistant (RA) & Community Manager (CM)
Resident Assistants (RAs) and Community Managers (CMs) promote student success via the implementation of the Residential Curriculum. This requires RAs and CMs to model the way, encourage the heart, and advocate for inclusive communities while empowering their residents to achieve their goals. This is a significant responsibility. Therefore, 2019-20 RAs and CMs must meet the following minimum qualifications in order to care for others while also caring for themselves:
- Participate fully in the selection process while demonstrating a capacity to serve as a successful RA or CM. This includes timely completion of the application. If you advance as a finalist, this also includes timely, full participation in a Workshop Weekend session.
- Maintain at least a 2.75 term and cumulative GPA, including fall 2018, spring 2019, summer 2019, and the 2019-20 academic year.
- Model behavior congruent with university and housing policies by maintaining good conduct standing with the university. As candidates in the selection process and while in the position, RAs and CMs can't be on Conduct Probation or have outstanding sanctions.
- Commit to no more than 12 hours of commitments outside of the RA or CM position, including no more than nine hours of paid employment per week outside of the RA or CM position. Outside commitments are defined as research assistantships, internships, extracurricular involvement, student organizations, practicum experiences, paid employment, etc. International students are typically unable to hold additional on-campus employment appointments. Please review the FAQ page for more information.
- Attend and fully participate in fall 2019 Student Staff Training and spring 2020 Student Staff Training. Fall 2019 Student Staff Training is anticipated to start at the beginning of August 2019, a little more than two weeks before the start of the academic year. Spring 2020 Student Staff Training is anticipated to begin in early January 2020, five or six days before the start of the semester. Please review the FAQ page for more information.
- Sign a 2019-20 RA Agreement or 2019-20 CM Agreement as a condition of employment. These documents outline expectations and policies associated with these positions. Previous versions of these agreements are available on our website for review. Please note that the 2019-20 RA Agreement and 2019-20 CM Agreement are subject to change in comparison to previous versions.
- Complete and pass a background check issued by the University of South Florida prior to serving as an RA or CM.
- Be a current, full-time student at the University of South Florida (USF) Tampa.
- Complete at least one full-time semester by the start of employment.
- Be 18 years of age by the start of employment.