Welcome! The USF College of Marine Science (CMS) is one of the top 10 marine science programs in the country (Academic Analytics). Our program is led by faculty with expertise in all aspects of oceanography, offering students a strong interdisciplinary education–critical to a successful career in marine science.
We offer M.S. and Ph.D. degrees in Marine Science, with concentrations in Biological Oceanography, Physical Oceanography, Chemical Oceanography, Geological Oceanography, Hydrography, and Marine Resource Assessment. Additionally, our interdisciplinary options within the College of Marine Science and cross-disciplinary options that allows students to develop expertise in marine science along with a subject offered in another USF-based college, such as engineering or education, offer expanded opportunities for collaboration and research.
We welcome anyone who has a passion for the oceans and for science, who values different perspectives, and who cherishes the opportunity to think critically and promote dialogue about the knowledge we create and disseminate to apply. Regardless of what you look like, what you believe, or where you come from, we want to include you in our college if this description fits you.
Here are a few distinguishing features of our program:
- Our $20 million endowment supports more than 26 student fellowships at roughly $10-25k/year. Most students receive financial support from fellowships, grant funding as a research assistant, or college funding as a teaching assistant.
- We appoint ~50 Graduate Assistants every year.
- More than 85% of CMS students find employment in their field of training. CMS graduates hold positions in academia, industry, government agencies, and non‐governmental organizations at local to international levels.
- We usually have about 35 M.S. students and 65 Ph.D. students.
- Our student body publishes nearly 30 publications every year and typically brings in over $200,000 in research support through competitive proposals to federal, state, and other national and local organizations.
- The USF CMS provides robust training and professional development opportunities in science communication, teaching, and outreach.
- Our highly productive, award-winning faculty includes members of the American Association for the Advancement of Science, National Academy of Sciences, National Academy of Inventors, American Geophysical Union, and more.
As of Fall 2023:
- 64% Doctoral
- 36% Master’s
- 68% Female
- 32% Male
- 18% International
- 21% Underrepresented Minorities (self-identify as Black/African American, Hispanic/Latinx, American Indian or Alaska Native)
Looking for the Bachelor’s in Marine Biology? Check out the USF College of Arts & Sciences B.S in Marine Biology Program information. The degree is offered on the St. Petersburg and Tampa Campus.