Facilities and Equipment
Oceanic Nutrient Laboratory
Lab Director: Kristen Buck
Summary: The Oceanic Nutrient and CDOM Laboratory performs nutrient analyses of seawater and freshwater samples for inorganic macronutrients (nitrate, nitrite, ammonium, phosphate, silicate) in addition to analysis of colored dissolved organic matter (CDOM) characteristics. The lab supports the CARIACO time series program, experimental process studies, and ongoing research in the Southern Ocean and Gulf of Mexico.
Nutrient specific instrumentation includes
- Technicon AutoAnalyzer II – 5 channel segmented flow analyzer for micromolar nitrate, nitrite, ammonium, phosphate, and silicate quantification.
- Lachat QuickChem 8500 Series 2 – 4 channel flow injection analyzer for micromolar nitrate, nitrite, ammonium, phosphate, and silicate quantification.
- High sensitivity nitrogen sensor package – reverse flow injection analyzer (rFIA) for nanomolar nitrate, nitrite and ammonium quantification.
CDOM specific instrumentation includes
- Horiba Aqualog – compact spectrofluorometric system for simultaneous absorption spectra and fluorescence excitation-emission matrices of colored dissolved organic material.
- Horiba/Jobin Yvon Fluorolog – modular spectrofluorometric system for high sensitivity excitation-emission matrices of colored dissolved organic material.
Contact Kristen Buck for more information or to inquire about collaborative research or analytical services.