Welcome to the 1st Consolidated Term of the Student Government Senate! The Legislative Branch is comprised of the Senate and is responsible for being the voice of the student body through their elected representatives. The Senate is composed of representatives, known as Senators, from each of the USF Campuses. There are 60 seats in the Senate. The apportionment of the seats is determined by the percentage of the total number of students enrolled at each of the respective campuses. Primarily, the Senate allocates all Activity and Service fee appropriations including student organizations, departments, and programs. Each student pays the fee in their tuition and collectively the sum is over $17 million dollars. Enacting, amending, or repealing statutes of Student Government, as well as, resolutions and memorials are under the authority of the Senate. The Senate may propose constitutional amendments, and confirm or deny Executive Appointees. In addition, the Senate may override a veto by the Student Body President with a two-thirds majority vote. Student body engagement through outreach events, social media, and town halls are always a high priority for the Senate.
To join the Senate, you must be elected by the students in your respective college during the General (Spring) or Mid-term (Fall) Election cycle. As a Senator, you are responsible for attending at least one of the 5 standing committees in Senate. In addition, you will attend regular Senate meetings which occur every Tuesday at 6 PM. We invite you to attend a session and see the dedication and commitment that your fellow students, elected representatives, have in serving the students at the University of South Florida. If you are unable to attend or want to learn more, browse through the Legislative branches official documents or visit us in the Student Government Suite MSC 4300.
With over $17 million in Activity and Service fees, the Senate funds the following entities:
- Over 600 Student Organizations, the Sports Club Council, and College of Medicine Council
- Campus Recreation Center
- The Center for Leadership and Civic Engagement
- The Center for Student Involvement
- The Marshall Student Center
- New Student Connections
- The Office of Multicultural Affairs
- Student Government Advising, Training, Operations Bureau
- The Student Business Services Office Bureau
- The Student Affairs Shared Services Center Assessment
- The SG Executive, Legislative, and Judicial Branches
- SG Computer Services, S.A.F.E. Team, and Bulls Radio
- Some services within Students with Disabilities Services
- Some services and programming within the Veterans Services Office
Senate meetings generally fall every Tuesday that class is in session during the academic semester.
Location: Microsoft Teams*
Time: 6:00 PM
* To join the meeting on Microsoft Teams, click the link to be taken to the Senate Teams Channel, from there you will be able to join all meetings
Can't make it to a meeting? Check out our Live Stream. The live broadcast link will only work during active in-person sessions.