Off-Campus Employment (Internships)


F-1 Off-Campus employment options (internships)

CPT Photo

Curricular Practical Training (CPT) Internships

CPT is an academic learning experience that allows a student to apply theoretical knowledge and skills gained through coursework in a practical work environment such as Internships, Practicums, or Field Experiences. 

>> CPT



Optional Practical Training (OPT)

OPT is temporary work authorization that gives F-1 students an opportunity to apply knowledge gained in the classroom to a practical off-campus work experience in the student’s field of study.

>> Pre-Completion OPT  
>> Post-Completion OPT
>> H1-B Cap Gap 




Eligible F-1 students currently on post-completion OPT may apply for a two year extension of their OPT if they have completed an eligible STEM degree from a SEVIS approved school within the last 10 years. 

>> STEM OPT Cap Gap 


Economic Hardship

Economic Hardship 

Eligible F-1 student may request off campus employment work authorization based upon severe economic hardship caused by unforeseen circumstances beyond the student’s control.  

>> Economic Hardship 
>> Special Student Relief (SSR)


 J Off-Campus Employment Options


J-1 Academic Training (AT)

J-1 students may begin applying for off-campus work benefits prior to or after completion of their academic objective or degree program, if they meet the eligibility requirements.

>> Academic Training




J-2 Dependent Employment

J-2 visa holders may apply for work permission from the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS). Permission is granted in the form of an Employment Authorization Document (EAD) with authorized dates of employment.

>> J-2 Dependent Employment


Outside US

Outside the US

International students who wish to study, research, or engage in experiential learning outside the U.S. as part of their USF degree program must first request approval from the international office.

>> Outside US 
>> E-Form


Other Visa Types

Other visa types

Employment options for other visa types that are not F/J are very limited and differ by each visa type. If you have questions about your employment options, please visit the link below.

>> Other Visa Types